Monday, June 18, 2012


This is Allie as a puppy in August 2005

And as puppies do (so quickly!) she grew up
She is a border collie and scary smart!  Also, very spoiled but still as cute as ever!

So last week I took her to the vet to get her teeth cleaned.  The vet gave her a shot of sedative and said she should be out in about 10 min.   30 minutes later she's just as awake as ever.  Adrenaline was keeping her up.  They talked about putting a muzzle on her to give her a different medication.  As soon as the muzzle came out so did her full mouth of teeth.  NO WAY!  So.  We decided to reschedule for the next day with a different medication.
We went home.  As soon as she got inside the house she stumbled, stood still for a few seconds then passed out cold.  Yeah.
I called the vet.  They could give her a "wake up" shot if she was still in the car for me to bring her back.  Nope.  She waited until she got home.  She weighs 51 lb. no way I could lift her.  She was to be out for at least 3 hours.
Now here's where it gets interesting.  I'm watching her and her breathing is down to 5-8 per minute and so is her heart rate.  I'm stimulating her to breathe while I'm getting more worried by the second.  (I'm a retired nurse)  I decide that I must get her into the car and rush her back to the vet.  As I'm trying to lift her limp body she suddenly wakes up enough to bite my right hand!  She clamped down and began squeezing on the meaty part of my thumb/palm and the top almost to the point where her teeth met in the middle.  I finally pried her mouth open to free my hand and she immediately passed out again!  Now I'm the one with the adrenaline rush!  Washed and bandaged and tried to calm myself as I watch her now breathing fine.  Figures.
Next day my hand is swollen x 2, red, hot and hurting.  Off to the doctor I go.  Antibiotic shot in the bum and oral antibiotics to take for 10 days.  Fun times.
Hubby learned about it all afterward, Allie doesn't remember and I'm not sure when I'll tell the vet (we rescheduled).
So.  Not much creativity with an injured hand.  Much better today.  Took all the bandages off and am letting nature do the healing.


  1. Yikes and OUCH!!! Poor you, and poor Allie ~
    Hope things go better with the next try!!

  2. Hi Kathryn, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

  3. Oh my goodness what an ordeal! Allie definitely had a delayed reaction to the sedative. Poor baby was probably so confused. Hope your hand is on the mend so you can get back to creating.

  4. Jeepers Kathryn.. O my word what a day.. poor you & poor Allie..I do hope your hand mends soon..Hugs May x x

  5. ...OMGosh talk about eventfull, who would of thought a small trip to the vet for teeth cleaning could result the way it has!...oh Kathryn that musta been scary too, was that the first time for sedatives?...hope your hand heals quickly...Mel :)

  6. Oh my, this sounds pure a collie adventure to me. They are the most amazing dogs, we say that ours has been here before, she is so bright. Hope your hand heals okay.

  7. Oh Kathryn what an ordeal!! Allie must have thought you were the vet when she woke up. Poor you. Hope you hand heals soon and that Allie's next trip is a bit more successful. She really is a beauty. Crafty hugs, Anne x

  8. Oh, no! Sorry I'm just seeing this! We were traveling and have had seemingly a million things going my Internet browser was hijacked (I must have clicked on something bad!) and had to wait for my tech guy to walk me through getting rid of it. ANYWAY: oh no! Poor you, poor Allie...the last time they gave Tallulah sedatives I really thought she had died. So scary. Glad you're healing now!


Thank you for your comments!